Monday, March 14, 2011

Lino Print Stint

Last Tuesday evening my friend Sam and I took ourselves off to a Lino Print Workshop in Cape Town run by Marlize Lotz. This former craft and decor editor of Idees/Ideas magazine now runs Modeh Ani, a creative company that specializes in craft workshops, craft & décor styling and consulting, and even room makeovers! [and is the current Décor Guru of the popular TV programme, Pasella, on SABC2.]

This craft workshop involved getting the tools out, using our hands and creating our own lino designs, which we would use to print onto fabric and cover a journal. Marlize provided all the materials and even some inspirational design reference by Skinny laMinx if we needed it. She took us through the process, step by step and I thought I’d share it with you today.

Lino Print Workshop 1

Step 1: draw your design and trace it onto the lino.

Step 2: choose a natural fabric, cotton works well, and cover a journal with the cut-to-size fabric.

Step 3: using a sharp little cutting tool, carefully cut into the lino. Bit by bit, scrape away the rubber around your design. [this process takes longer than you might think, especially if you decide to do something more intricate!]

Step 4: using a sponge [a roller can also be used], dab your chosen fabric paint colour onto the lino design and carefully transfer and print onto the fabric. I chose black onto the natural cloth: I love the contrast of the black and cream.

Step 5: step back and admire your creative journal made by hand!

Lino Print Workshop 2

proteas & journal blog At home with my new journal.





Contact Marlize of Modeh Ani here for further details about her workshops.


All photography my me.

No comments:

Post a Comment