Sunday, May 13, 2012

I love stripes: Daphne van den Heuvel

my guest post over at Freeworld Design Centre this week was a delightful mix of fashion illustration & stripes:

streepklein2

streepklein1

The title of this series of fashion illustrations by Daphne van den Heuvel completely rings my bell. I Love Stripes. You bet I do.

About 3 years ago, when Daphne was still in art academy, she created an outfit with striped fabric and one of her lecturers told her a bit about the history of striped fabric.

“Striped fabric was used in clothing for sailors and prisoners because it stands out from nature so much. When a sailor would fall overboard or a prisoner would escape they could be found more easily. Later on it became a fabric used in fashionable clothing (Coco Chanel used it too).
In my new drawings I combined my love for drawing, fashion and stripes.”

Personally, I find the simplicity of the natural background with the minimal line drawing to be the perfect complement to the solidly painted stripe detailing. My first thought was how much I’d love a print of one of Daphne’s illustrations. The delightful news is that her art is available as an A4 print over on her site. Now the only question is - which gorgeous illustration will it be?

streepklein4

streepklein3

streepklein5

streepklein6

No comments:

Post a Comment