Sunday, July 10, 2011

On Sundays I Smile - Week in Review July 10th

On Sundays I review the past week and I Smile. I share these moments with you.



My favorite food, hands-down is sushi. Oh glorious sushi! Oh, California rolls and tuna sashimi and spider rolls and eel (yes, eel.) If it was up to me, I'd eat sushi morning, noon and night. So imagine my delight when I stumbled upon a sushi restaurant that serves sushi via conveyor belt. You just pick out the plate you want - each plate is color-coded to the price of the sushi. The sushi was really fresh, and it was an ingenious and all-out fun experience.  I can't wait to go back.



Legoland Discovery Center. Three hours of Lego construction, screeching kids, building stations, rides where you shoot animated Lego action figures with a laser pointer, and crowds so thick you need a machete to cut through them. It was super fun.

Oh, and don't think for a minute that my kids were the only ones who had a blast at Legoland.


This is my interpretation of a Mario Mushroom. Yes, I made this. Try to control your awe.


With my birthday on Friday, I asked my husband for two gifts: A solo day trip out to Fort Worth for thrifting, museum-hoping and chicken-fried steak; and a new tattoo. While in Fort Worth I took the opportunity to visit a little vintage shop called Bess and Evie's, which had the most beautiful vintage lingerie I've ever seen. Perfectly displayed vintage hats, a wall of cowboy boots and pristine reptile purses solidified this shop as one of my favorites.



Sadly, things took a turn for the worse when I stumbled upon a flea market hidden in the Fort Worth Stockyards. Personally, I can't imagine buying a musty tangled used wig in a flea market, but hey, there's something for everyone.

When thrifting was finished I drove back to Dallas for my tattoo appointment at Blink Tattoo. I'd had a consultation earlier in the week and knew I'd be sitting for close to two hours. If you've never gotten inked, here's how the process goes:


First your tattoo artist cleans your arm and applies the stencil.




Once the stencil is done, the artist gets to work. If he's good, he'll offer you gum to chew and chat with you a little to distract you from the pain and have a flat screen TV in his studio so you can watch something, anything, aside from the tender inside of your arm being tattooed.




You will try to look cute when the artist's assistant takes a photo of you getting inked. But inside you are crying, crying deep hacking sobs of white-hot tears because it hurts. It really freaking hurts.


But then it's done. The pain is over, and you have a gorgeous piece of artwork on your body. And you can crow to your friends about how brave you were. 

Now it's your turn: What are some things that made you smile this week? Grab my button (created by Kate of Divergent Musings - HUGE THANKS to Kate!) and blog about your Sunday smiles; share your weekly smiles in the comments; or smile just because it makes you feels good.

As I'm gazing lovingly at my new ink, here's what went down on Dress With Courage this week:

And I had one big blogger accomplishment this week:
  • Two posts of mine were featured on Beautifully Invisible's  Link Love With A Twist. This is a tremendous honor. B features some of the most talented bloggers around, and I'm thrilled to be included in such a group.

Thank you for supporting me by following my blog, continuing to leave thoughtful and introspective comments, and dropping by every day. And a big thank you especially for all the wonderful birthday wishes! I am so appreciative that you all are here.

If you're visiting my blog for the first time, please think about following me through Google Friend Connect, tweeting with me on Twitter (I'm quite witty on the Twitter, I promise), or becoming a Facebook fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment