Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Austin City Limits: A fashion survival guide


Sad fact: I'm 3201834 years old (okay, 37), but until this past weekend I had never attended an outdoor music festival. It's been hard for me, as an old, to see the appeal of standing in a smoke-filled space crammed with twenty year-old hipsters and the pound pound pound of bass and the screaming screeching of a band and the sweet waft of something...herbaceous hanging in the air. I don't like crowds. And I am not such a fan of the outdoors. Which is why I've kept a healthy distance from Lollapalooza and Lilith Fair and Bonnaroo and Coachella and Ozzfest. Especially Ozzfest.

This weekend, though, I joined my husband and thousands of young, energetic music fans at Austin City Limits. I didn't quite know what to expect. I knew it'd be hot. I knew there'd be crowds. I knew to bring sunscreen and flat shoes and an open mind. So I took a deep breathe and jumped right in.


Forever 21 cropped tee; vintage lace skirt; ancient Gap sandals; Urban Outfitters sunglasses; Buffalo Exchange cowhide bag

This was my first day at ACL outfit. Two songs in, and it quickly became obvious that I was woefully overdressed. In all fairness, I was warned by friends that ACL lacked any sort of standards, resulting in ensembles that gave new meaning to the term 'casual.' Consider the following completely random photo of a group of fellow concert goers:




This is what 99% of the female population at ACL was wearing. So for the second day, I toned things down. Way down.


Forever 21 tanks; vintage Levis cutoffs; Gap sandals; Buffalo Exchange necklaces; TIKKR watch
Believe it or not, I still had not perfected my outfit. Because I was not prescribing to the super secret as-yet-unpublished Austin City Limits Fashion Guide for Men and Women. Lucky for you, I will now share the unspoken uniform for ACL attendees, which I recreated upon arriving home.



Based on my own astute observation, female attendees of ACL wore a minimum of nine of the following items:
  • Fraying denim cutoff shorts (bonus points if your shorts are so short that they show a glimpse of butt cheek.)
  • Lace top, or
  • plaid western shirt (bonus points for vintage.)
  • String or strapless bikini top.
  • Friendship bracelets.
  • Ray-Ban sunglasses.
  • Turquoise jewelry.
  • Cowboy boots (bonus points for vintage.)
  • Sneakers. 
  • Crossbody bag (extra bonus points if made from the hide of an identifiable animal.)
  • Fedora.
  • Absence of make-up.
Men had their own distinctive look:
  • Bared, unshaven chest.
  • Skinny jeans.
  • Cutoff jorts.
  • Lumberjack mustache (bonus points if paired with muttonchop sideburns.)
  • Beard.
  • Tee shirt with a mustache or beard. 
  • Super short, scruffy unwashed hair; or
  • thick uncombed hair accompanied by a ponytail.
  • Bandana.
  • Ironic political artifact. 
Case in point:



Unisex items include:

  • Clothing or accessories made from hemp.
  • Camelbak portable hydration pack.
  • Tattoos (bonus points for full sleeves and/or back piece.)
  • Toms.
  • Fanny pack.
  • Leather cuffs.
  • DSLR camera.
  • Cowboy hat.
  • Cigarettes.
  • Marijuana pipe.
Deodorant and soap are purely optional.



All in all, I had a fantastic time at ACL. Sure, it was so hot that my eyeballs were sweating. True, it also rained some of the day on Saturday (resulting in a collective stink reminiscent of body odor, decaying compost and cigarette smoke.) And there was a noticeable population enjoying recreational drugs and cigarettes, despite the somewhat laughable smoking ban at the festival. But the music was great; the atmosphere relaxed; and the attendees exceedingly polite and friendly. 

Have you been to an outdoor music festival?  Ever attended ACL? Have you noticed any trends at concerts?

1 comment: