Sunday, January 22, 2012

On Sundays I Smile - Week in review 1.22.12

On Sundays I review the past week and I Smile. I share these moments with you.


One of my favorite places in Dallas to hang out is The Pearl Cup. With excellent coffee and a laid back atmosphere, it's the kind of place where people from all walks of life hang out. At the Pearl Cup, you'll find theology students, soccer moms, hipsters with their bicycles, SMU students, writers, businessmen, and designers sitting at communal tables working on their laptops and sipping on Dallas' best lattes. Sometimes they argue with each other using words I haven't heard since I studied for the verbal portion of the SAT's. It's fascinating and wondrous.


This is not a photo of the inside of my closet (though I wish it was.) This is a rack of vintage sequin blouses from one of my favorite stores in Austin. I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry tears of joy when I came across this display of gaudy eighties glamour. Thankfully, I hit the sequin motherload at thrift stores here in Dallas this week, keeping most of my money in my wallet.



Although I spend much of the week making the 30 minute drive down to Dallas, I decided to take a day exploring the town square in my own neighborhood. Downtown McKinney is home to antique malls and interesting little shops containing old furniture and books and things like preserved artichokes, which made me sneeze.


Just in case any of you think I'm the kind of mom who runs her home Martha Stuart style, meticulously cleaning and organizing and cataloging with the militant energy of a professional, I present to you a photo of my boys taken just this morning. Their room looks like a bomb went off. A bomb composed of Legos and Transformers and books and tee shirts which they insist on changing into and out of multiple times a day. They are quite pleased with themselves.


And finally, the weirdest, grossest thing I've ever come across in a thrift store: A used bed pan. Some things just can't be unseen.

Now it's your turn: What are some things that made you smile this week? Grab my button (created by Kate of Kate The Geek - HUGE THANKS to Kate!) and blog about your Sunday smiles; share your weekly smiles in the comments; or smile just because it makes you feel good.

While I'm picking Legos out of the carpet, catch up on everything from Dress With Courage this week:


This week Sal of Already Pretty - my own blog mentor - was kind enough to feature my post on nudity in her Lovely Links of the week. Big thanks to Sal for the mention!

Thank you for supporting me by following my blog, continuing to leave thoughtful and introspective comments, and dropping by every day. I am so appreciative that you are here.

If you're visiting my blog for the first time, think about following me through Google Friend Connect, and tweeting with me on Twitter (@dresscourage). You can also follow me on Pinterest and Instagram under Dresscourage and on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment