Friday, July 20, 2012

{Daily outfit} Point of view. 7.20.12


Vintage embroidered top? Thrifted. Jeans? Citizen of Humanity. Vintage Whiting and Davis bag? Thrifted. Belt? Thrifted. Sandals? Gap. Leather cuff and turquoise necklace? Thrifted

I'll admit that there isn't much about this outfit that makes sense. It isn't elegant. It isn't trendy. It's not preppy, or classic, or even definable. Some would argue that it's not especially stylish, either. At it's most basic, it's a medley of a few favorite old pieces I grabbed from my closet and a recently thrifted vintage bag. But truthfully, in this mixed-up hodge podge of an outfit, I felt the most me.

I've realized lately that I've gotten a bit off track from my personal sense of style. At my core, I'd much rather wear something unique that compliments who I am rather than what's expected or trendy. The gift of fashion is that it allows us to communicate our individual sense of style in a creative, yet functional way. We can be classic, or ladylike, or sporty, or bohemian, or experimental. We can be feminine, or masculine, or a bit of both. We can show a lot of skin, or cover ourselves completely. We can slavishly follow trends or reject them entirely. Whether we're rich, or poor, or something in between, the way we dress is a pretty incredible device for communicating who we are to the world.

One of the things I enjoy most about thrifting is that it allows me to wear things that no one else owns. Like this bag. And this blouse. It takes courage to embrace being different. And, even better, it's a whole lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment