Friday, September 2, 2011

Almost daily outfit: Country strong 9/2/11




Vintage thrifted Wrangler shirt; Joe's cropped jeans (eBay); Lucky Brand wedges; Buffalo Exchange bag; vintage thrifted belt; Forever 21 and Charming Charlie bracelets; Marc Jacobs watch


I thrifted this generously ruffled 1980's western shirt a few months back. Then I saw my arch nemesis Gwyneth Paltrow in Country Strong on HBO. These two incidents, I believe, are deeply connected.  First of all, I kind of have a secret fetish for western wear. A pair of worn out Wranglers, a oversized silver belt buckle, and a dusty pair of cowboy boots enrapture me. This shirt led to daydreams of racing horses around barrels and sipping beer out of the bottle in some honky-tonk saloon while Willie Nelson croons softly on the jukebox.

My friend Gwyneth has loftier fantasies, I'm sure. Country Strong had enough melodrama and full-volume diva-esque histrionics to blow even Burlesque out of the water. Paltrow plays a booze and pills burned-out country singer on the edge of collapse. Her performance largely consists of screeching, weeping until the eyeliner runs in rivets down her perfect face, and stumbling around in a drunken manner. But there's a lot to like about this movie. The very best scenes involve watching princessy Paltrow in hysterics, rolling around on the floor, grabbing for a bottle of booze and being mean to Leighton Meester (who's got enough of a case of mean-face herself to make you think she deserves it.) It's almost as crazy as watching Mindy McCready on Celebrity Rehab.

So I dedicate this vintage Wrangler shirt to you, Ms. Paltrow.  It might not have be included in your epic country tear-fest, but it was there in spirit. Minus the dripping eyeliner, of course.







In case you missed it:
  • Enter my giveaway to win a $25 gift card from Marshalls/TJ Maxx!

  • Like this post? PLEASE take a minute and vote for me in the CBS DFW Most Valuable Blogger Awards! I'm a finalist!

1 comment: