Friday, December 16, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Holiday quiz

It's hard to believe that are only nine days until Christmas. Because of my husband's busy travel schedule, we only just decorated our tree last night, and I have most of my Christmas shopping list left to plow through. This week for Fashion Beauty Friend Friday, we're offering snippets of thoughts on holiday related topics.


No holiday party is complete without: Christmas cookies.

My favorite Christmas song/album: I vacillate between Handel's Messiah and Tori Amos' Midwinter Graces album.

My favorite seasonal recipe: Latkes. Oh so good.

The perfect New Year's Eve outfit includes: Sequins, of course!

At the parties, I'll be drinking: I'm a whiskey girl, but during the holidays I like to indulge in a glass or two of champagne. It always makes me feel festive.

Eggnog, good or bad? Bad. Very bad.

Did you ever take pictures on Santa's lap at the mall? I was raised in a conservatively  Jewish household, so Santa, Christmas trees, and anything Christmas-related was a no-no.

Gingerbread Latte or Peppermint Mocha: Neither - hot caramel apple cider.

Worst gift I ever got: I can't remember getting a bad gift!

Best gift I ever received: One memorable year my husband bought me a Kitchenaid stand mixer that I'd been hinting for. That might seem weird, a mixer being my best gift. But that mixer has proved to be the most useful present I've ever received.

My family has this weird tradition: I'm not sure it's weird, but my family celebrates both Hanukkah and Christmas so we do an interesting, eclectic blend of traditions from both. We watch Christmas movies and decorate a Christmas tree and open presents on Christmas morning, but we also light a menorah and tell the Hanukkah story and make brisket and latkes and give our chocolate gelt.

My best bargain find for a gift this year: I bought nearly all my holiday decor from thrift stores this year. It was really fun and saved me a ton of money.

If I could only buy all my gifts from one place, I'd shop at: Target.

Rudolph the Red-nose Reindeer or Frosty the Snowman: Definitely Rudolf.

My favorite holiday memory: My childhood Hanukkah dinners and gift exchange with my grandparents, cousins and aunt and uncle. There was always a lot of laughter, silliness and joy.

My favorite Christmas movie: Elf. Mostly because of this scene. And this one too. I also love watching A Nightmare Before Christmas because the music is so good.

The best part about holiday decorations is: Our collection of ornaments that we've accumulated over the years. I'm partial to the ones my kids made when they were in preschool. So sweet.

Rip off the wrapping paper or neatly pull off the tape: Rip that crap off.

Miracle on 34th Street or It's a Wonderful Life: Miracle on 34th Street, mostly because it reminds me of Christmas in New York City.

It doesn't feel like the holiday season until: I unearth our holiday decorations from the garage.

All I want for Christmas is: A relaxed, stress-free couple of days home with my family. Simple enough.

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments. What's your favorite Christmas movie? What's the best present you've ever received? Any special traditions you share with your family?

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday was created by Katy Rose of Modly Chic. Become a member of the Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group to join in the discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment