Friday, December 30, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Resolutions


This week, Fashion Beauty Friend Friday participants were asked to share their New Year's resolutions, whether they be blog or personal goals.

If you’re like a gazillion other people across the globe (or, maybe just America – not sure whether this kind of torment affects other countries), chances are you’ve said or thought at least one of the following statements at some point in the last few days:

  1. “In 2012, I’m going to [lose weight/start exercising/quit smoking/get organized/dye my hair pink]”
  2. “New Year’s resolutions? Um, no. Not into that.”
Truthfully, I'm not the biggest fan of New Year's resolutions. When a new year comes I typically avoid making them. I hate feeling pressured by a date on the calendar to make momentous changes to my life. I'm not a fan of the suggestion that there's something wrong with me if I don't declare resolutions when New Year's arrives. But mostly I despise feeling as if I have failed when I do not manage to make my resolutions come true.

So this year is different. This year I decided to make a list of things I am looking forward to in the upcoming year and goals that are realistic and achievable. 

  • Elevate the ordinary to the extraordinary: This includes things such as wearing sequins to run errands, going to more concerts, drinking champagne during the week, eating dinner by candlelight, and treating myself to the occasional massage. 
  • Spend more time outdoors:  Yesterday I took my kids for a hike at a nearby nature preserve, and it opened my eyes to my love for being outdoors. I'd like to go for more hikes and picnics, brush the dust of my bicycle, and buy myself a pair of vintage or used roller skates.
  • Take more road trips: I went thrifting with a blogger friend recently and she mentioned how she and her husband take weekend road trips to visit estate sales, flea markets and thrift stores. I would love to start doing the same. I don't mind driving, and it'd be fun to explore other parts of the country.
  • Publish my book: Writing and publishing a book is a much longer process than I was prepared for. My book is currently being professionally edited. Within the next month, a cover will be designed; the book will be formatted; copies will be printed and an e-book edition made available. I'd love to host a book launch party in March to celebrate getting it finished.
  • Participate in the Texas Style Council Conference in March: I was recently hired as the community outreach manager and social media coordinator for the Texas Style Council Conference, and I could not be more thrilled to be involved. I had an amazing time at the conference last March and I'm so honored to be involved.
  • Write more for other blogs: Guest posting is a great way to become more involved in the blogging community and reach out to potential readers. It also helps me develop my writing voice even further. In January I'll be working as a featured contributor for the Blind Hem, an online magazine focused on intelligent writing about fashion, and I'm hopeful that it will open more doors for writing opportunities.
  • Avoid shopping new: At this point, my wardrobe is 85% thrifted. Ideally, I'll like it to be 100% composed of thrifted pieces, though I'm unsure if that's realistic, what with my reignited passion for shoes (though I'm considering purchasing vintage shoes from eBay and Etsy from now forward.)
  • Add more fun into my diet: My diet is healthy, but boring. I tend to eat the same things all the time. It doesn't help that I'm not the most comfortable cook. I'd like to add more variety into my diet and become more comfortable in the kitchen.

As alway, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments! Are you making New Year's resolutions this year? Do you avoid making resolutions?

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday was created by Katy Rose of
Modly Chic. Become a member of the Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group to join in the discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment