Sunday, February 5, 2012

On Sundays I Smile - Week in review 2.5.12

On Sundays I review the past week and I Smile. I share these moments with you.



We all have our little places of refuge - places we run to when we need an escape, a pick-me-up, or a location to hide away when things get stressful. Mine is a little vintage and consignment store in Carrollton called Vintage Martini. When I'm at Vintage Martini, walking among Chanel, Versace, Escada and Balenciaga, I feel at home. I slip into a fantasy world where women wear little boxy suits and ball gowns and elbow length opera gloves and Manolos. I occasionally bring pieces there to consign, but I mostly go to hang out with the owners and visit the clothes. It just makes me happy.



Of course, all good things must come to an end. These fantastically horrifying stripper shoes smacked me back into reality while I went thrifting. I was a little tempted to try them on, just for fun, but the idea of sliding my feet into herpes scared me off.



Also spotted while thifting: a 1950's beaded chiffon evening gown with matching bolero. This ensemble was so beautiful it almost made me cry. Although it's not in my size, I bought it. Because when you run into a 1950's Neiman Marcus evening set, you kind of have to.


Oh, pho. How I love you. Pho is the world's most perfect lunch. It's savory, and spicy, and filling, and smells like Thai basil and cilantro and some unidentifiable ingredients that I probably don't want to know about.


A few weeks ago, I bought a book called Very Vintage - A Guide to Vintage Patterns and Clothing from Half Priced Books, and I can't put it down. It's filled with photos and historical information behind major trends throughout the past 120 years of fashion history. This sort of book captivates me.

Now it's your turn: What are some things that made you smile this week? Grab my button and blog about your Sunday smiles; share your weekly smiles in the comments; or smile just because it makes you feel good.

While I'm dreaming of  Manolos and vintage Balenciaga, catch up on everything from Dress With Courage this week: 
Also this week: Autumn of the fantastic blog The Beheld featured my post on cosmetics and cartoon characters in her Beauty Blogosphere roundup of the week. Big thanks to her!


Thank you for supporting me by following my blog, continuing to leave thoughtful and introspective comments, and dropping by every day. I am so appreciative that you are here.

If you're visiting my blog for the first time, think about following me through Google Friend Connect, and tweeting with me on Twitter (@dresscourage). You can also follow me on Pinterest and Instagram under Dresscourage and on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment