Monday, April 30, 2012

flavour of the month: April

so you all know I’m a massive fan of Instagram… I’m always on the go and I generally snap pictures along the way with my iPhone and share the images through the Instagram app. So this got me thinking that perhaps at the end of the month I should share some of my photographic highlights from that month on my blog. A kind of virtual & visual calendar if you will. So my April went something like this.

Autumn is always a beautifully transitional time of the year in Cape Town, falling leaves of auburn & russet, gold & bronze collect along the streets and there’s a distinct chill in the air as winter waits around the corner. It’s always a lovely time to wrap up warmly and take a seasonal stroll…

5

My son’s hockey season started this term and the tiny white blossoms of this tree on the school field caught my eye as I looked up during practice. At night, Alexandra Fuller’s autobiographical ‘Don’t Let’s Go to the Dogs Tonight’ kept me captivated as she skilfully tells the incredible story of her childhood in Rhodesia.

6

The new Sushibox restaurant in my suburb may be small, but the ceiling is artfully studded with white paper lanterns creating such an amazing effect not to be missed!

And speaking of lighting, the windows of Poetry have a lovely vintage vibe going on with their multi-patterned lampshades hanging around being pretty. Do you like this look I’m wearing? I am such a fan of all shades of grey, and these new caramel stretch jeans are my warm autumn complement to this cool colour.

4

This fuschia pink bougainvillea gives a vibrant pop of colour to my street, even more striking against a clear blue sky.

7

My studio makeover is reaching its goal and nearly finished, so I’m looking forward to sharing pictures soon. This little tablescape in black & white is a sneak preview. And the gorgeous Skinny laMinx fabrics from Heather’s Flower Dreams launch was a wonderful morning of inspiration.

9

Cavendish Square, my local shopping mall, is having some alterations done and the team invited various schools to decorate the temporary barrier walls with amazing and exciting eye candy… I loved these tin can flowers:

10

The latest Freeworld Design Centre exhibition is a colourful & creative decor exploration in shades of autumn and runs until 8 June 2012. I loved the visual contrast between the 4 design pods and the bursts of neon made my day!

Untitled-1

This bunny peep hole was just a craft-punched piece of paper through which I spontaneously photographed the trees outside my studio window… sweet, no? And another great cappuccino with friends at the lovely Starlings Cafe the other day…

2

To end off my month of April, we went to the nearby seaside town of Kalk Bay for a late breakfast at the famous Olympia cafe, a local & tourist hangout with delicious food & an offbeat atmosphere. And then a lazy stroll through the quirky & interesting Kalk Bay streets, stopping for coffee and a pastry at Boulangerie, the French-style bakery tucked away up a quiet lane. I couldn't help but admire this eye-catching mellow-yellow doorway against a lovely charcoal wall. Stunning colour combination!

3

Well, that’s my flavour of the month. Hope you liked it and pop back again to find out what I get up to during May.

[all photography my own]

No comments:

Post a Comment