Saturday, October 15, 2011

Almost daily outfit of the day: In which I reference the Ivy League 10.15.11

Forever 21 denim jacket; Citizens of Humanity jeans (eBay); thrifted vintage tee; thrifted Cole Haan loafers; Dolly Python bracelets

Confession: This  outfit is a bald face lie. I am wearing a thrifted Dartmouth tee shirt today, and I (gasp) did not attend Dartmouth. There was a very distinct group of peers in my high school who were absolutely desperate to attend an Ivy League school. They spent their free time hanging out in the college guidance counselor's office, pouring over those behemoth 627198326 page Pearson's Guide To Colleges and Universities books, trying to determine which Ivy offered the best dorms and which was the most competitive and which had the strongest program in political science or art history or Russian literature or whatever.

I was not one of those students. I wanted nothing to do with the preppy lifestyle of an Ivy school, what with their crew teams, parking lots filled with BMW's and girls who wore head-to-toe J Crew. I couldn't care less about vacations in St Barts and whether I wore pearl studs or tiny gold hoops from Tiffany's. Not to mention that my S.A.T scores were nowhere near what they needed to be to gain admittance to an Ivy League school. So I was quite happy to spend my college years at a music conservatory and state school, where I wore my Dr. Martens and thrifted Levis without so much as a second glance.

I can't deny that I felt a tiny bit smarter in this tee shirt, but that's probably due to the fact that I thrifted it for eighty-nine cents. I'll take what I can get.


In case you missed it:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment