Sunday, October 16, 2011

On Sundays I Smile - Week in review October 16th

On Sundays I review the past week and I Smile. I share these moments with you.


This morning I went to the Texas State Fair. Readers, going to the Texas State Fair is a must-do at some point in your lifetime. Put it on your bucket list. The weather is always gorgeous; there are a ton of interesting things to do (and see) (oh - and eat) and you are guaranteed to have an amazing time.


Most people begin their state fair experience with a stop over at Big Tex. Big Tex is a ginormous animatronic cowboy fashionably outfitted in Wranglers and a Dickies western snap shirt. Tex hollers at passers-by, instructing them to see the prize-winning cattle and dog shows and DON'T MISS the country band down at the Chevy Stage. It's creepy and fascinating.



The fair is spread over 47 acres, which makes the tran ride across the midway enticing. I've been to the fair countless times, but this was the first year I took the tran. It was worth it.


As is common at state fairs. there are rides - lots of rides. Most of them fall into gravity-defying/ scaring the holy hell out of you category, what with their flipping upside down while turning counterclockwise at 85 miles an hour and spinning spinning spinning and just looking at them makes me think I AM GOING TO DIE RIGHT HERE ON THIS VERY SPOT. There was this very mild and  safe-looking roller coaster, though, which my boys decided to try. On their own. Without parental accompaniment. This was a BIG DEAL. They did fine, though, and I only lost 19% heart muscle worrying, which isn't too bad.


Most people go to the Texas State Fair for one thing, and one thing only: The food. There, you can indulge in a nice healthy breakfast of corny dogs and Diet Dr. Pepper. Like I did.


By lunch time, you can try something a little more artery clogging, like fried butter and fried Frito pie and fried pineapple upside-down cake and fried Margaritas and fried bologna and fried barbecue ribs. The state fair committee runs a contest for the craziest fried food each year, and I sampled last year's winner -  the fried peanut butter, jelly, and banana sandwich. It was like looking upon the face of God.

Now it's your turn: What are some things that made you smile this week? Grab my button (created by Kate of Divergent Musings - HUGE THANKS to Kate!) and blog about your Sunday smiles; share your weekly smiles in the comments; or smile just because it makes you feels good.

 As I sit here, reflecting upon my state fair experience and digesting 92016524 pounds of cholesterol ridden, delectable state fair foods, catch up on everything from Dress With Courage during the past week:
I also had two big blog mentions of note:
  • My post on appearance and your reflection in the mirror was featured on Already Pretty's lovely links for the week;
  • and the same post appeared on The Beheld's Beauty Blogosphere links of the week.
Please be sure and take a moment to read through the links in both posts. I have been introduced to so many great blogs through them!

As always, thank you for supporting me by following my blog, continuing to leave thoughtful and introspective comments, and dropping by every day. I am so appreciative that you are here.

If you're visiting my blog for the first time, please think about following me through Google Friend Connect, tweeting with me on Twitter (@dresscourage), and following me through Bloglovin'. I also have a new Facebook page - come say hi!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment