Friday, August 26, 2011

Visual Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: R.O.C.K in the USA (Favorite clothing)

This week, Fashion Beauty Friend Friday is taking a visual turn and focusing on our favorite clothing item, as suggested by Ashley of Getting Dressed. I have to admit that I struggled with choosing a favorite piece. My thrifting and vintage addiction had led to a closet filled with unique, one-of-a-kind items that I spent hours digging out of racks and bins. So I'm highlighting one of my most recent thrifing scores. Warning: You might be blinded or offended by the amount of bling. And considerable 80's influence.



Okay. I understand that this vest is kind of ridiculous. I mean, it's bedazzled and studded. But I love it. It brings a flood of 80's teenage adolescence references to mind. I like to imagine that this lovely little piece of fashion iconography was created by a mother-daughter team back during the summer of 1986. They spent hours debating the type of studs and rhinestones they were going to use to decorate this vest, which they found in the Sears just off Main street. Eagerly they attacked their project, working into the night, their teased, permed hair casting a shadow over their work.

Eventually, the daughter grew bored of their endeavor. She was missing her favorite episode of Who's The Boss. The phone rang with calls from her friends, wondering why she wasn't hanging out at the Dairy Queen with them. So she abandoned the bedazzling, sneaking to her room, and turning on John Cougar Mellencamp to drown out the shrill nagging of her mom. When she drifted from her room the next morning, the vest was finished, her mother snoring softly on the couch. The girl wore it to school, generating envious looks from friends. And naturally, she took all the credit for its enticing sparkle.

So how did I style this piece? Very, very carefully.

$3 Thrifted vintage vest; Target layered tanks; Joe's Jeans (from Nordstrom Rack) White Mountain sandals; Charming Charlie and Forever 21 bracelets
As usual, I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic in the comments! Fashion Beauty Friend Friday was created by Katy Rose of Modly Chic. Become a member at the Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group to join in the discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment