Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Where do you feel most comfortable shopping?


A couple of weeks ago, I found myself in the Neiman Marcus flagship store in downtown Dallas. I don't normally mingle with the wealthy. As a matter of fact, I studiously avoid places that make me feel impoverished, genetically flawed, and under-dressed. But I'd heard tales about the store that were hard to dismiss. Such as one-of items produced by luxury designers just for the location. And Christian Louboutain shoes, Nancy Gonzalez python bags, Cle de Pleu cosmetics, and so on and so on.

Wandering through Neiman Marcus was an enlightening experience. A respectful quiet blanketed the lobby. Salespeople were tucked discretely in corners, smiling politely. Wide walkways of the store smelled subtly of gardenias, leather, Jo Malone candles, and a mysterious scent I could only identify as money. There were no crowds, no ringing phones, no crying children. Rooms tucked behind curved archways contained most glorious colors and materials - feathers, velvet, sequins and silk. Low tables of polished wood held sparse displays of cashmere sweaters. Price tags were tucked into sleeves. Pitchers of ice water with cucumber waiting outside dressing rooms, though I didn't observe anyone making a purchase. The store seemed to encourage idle wandering rather than active buying. Shopping, here, was a recreational sport, one meant to be enjoyed and savored. This was a place to enjoy fashion, to revel in it, to examine and enjoy.

I couldn't help but contrast my Neiman Marcus experience with that of my more typical, everyday shopping climate - that of Target or the mall. Both are a sensory overload of noise, color and activity. Florescent overhead lights cast harsh shadows over aisles. Displays are utilitarian, constructed to hold the most items and allow for shopping cart maneuverability. Prices are posted alongside advertisements for store discounts, coupons, and special sales. It's a cacophony of enthusiastic children, music playing, shoppers on their cell phones and employees on the P.A system calling for backup on registers. Shopping, here, is purposeful and task-oriented. These are places for shoppers who have lists; are bargain hunting; are combining tasks (such as grocery and apparel shopping) and do not have the time or inclination to linger.

I visited both Neiman Marcus and Target within three days of one another, and was struck by how different my shopping experience was in each store. I wondered which environment I felt more comfortable in - the plush luxury of Neiman Marcus, or the utilitarian convenience of Target. Which environment you're more comfortable in is dependent on a number of factors - your income, regional location, background, and personality traits. The physical environment of a store may elicit cognitive, emotional, and physiological responses which will influence  behavior in the store - behavior such as staying longer, spending more money, and/or buying more merchandise.  Your response to an environment often depends on situational factors as well, such as your plan or purpose for being in the store. Are you there to browse, or buy? Are you shopping to socialize, or to find a specific item? Studies on shopping behavior have proven (Donovan, Rossiter, Marcoolyn, and Nesdale, 1994; Sherman, Mathur, and Smith, 1997) that when you feel happy and relaxed in a store, you will stay longer, buy more items, and spend more money. This is why luxury stores such as Neiman Marcus lavish money on plush surroundings and high-end displays - their merchandise is expensive, and the store must spend more to entice customers to buy.

In the end, I decided I'm at my most relaxed when wandering through the aisles of a Salvation Army or Goodwill. I enjoy digging for bargains. I like the thrill of the unexplored. And I love when I discover a vintage piece I know few people own. Dust and grime doesn't bother me. Neither does brushing shoulders with the less fortunate. In fact, some of my most interesting conversations have occurred with other shoppers in a Goodwill. I don't worry about how I look, how much money is in my wallet, or whether I'm carrying the latest bag. I'm just another thrifter on the hunt.

Now I ask you: Where do you feel most comfortable shopping? Do you spend time in luxury retailers or are you more of a Target girl? Have your shopping tastes changed as you've gotten older? Or, do you trade an in-store shopping experience for online ordering?

In case you missed it:

No comments:

Post a Comment